Some brief details
Salfords: derivation of name.
- Salix is Latin for willow, hence it is the "Ford by the willows."
- In Rocque's map of 1762 it is called "Salvers" with "Salvers Bridge".
- Thought to be used by one of the settled manors to the north in 947 AD as a swine pasture known as
a denn. Could be one of the earliest known uses of land in the area.
(Erbridge and the Merstham dens in Horley by Roger Ellaby 2004)
- It is suggested that an ancient trackway ran south and north to the east of Salfords.
- Part of it ran from Cross Oak Lane, through Perry Wood alongside the Sports and Social Club of that
name, over Honeycrock Lane, alongside Dean Farm to Whitebushes. Much of it can still be seen.
(Earlswood-Salfords-Horley ancient trackway by Roger Ellaby 2000)
- Before 1816 no made up roads. All were hard, rutted and dusty in summer and quite impassable in
- In 1816 road from Gatton that passed through Salfords from Woodhatch was turnpiked, made-up,
and a tollgate erected at the western end of Maple Road where payments were made for use of
the road. In same year the road from Redhill was turnpiked hence the mile post opposite the old
school site alongside the A23 and one at the top of Peartree Hill.
Local Farms/Early Settlements
- Many surrounding farms suggest they could have been early settlements.
- Some may derive their names from medieval tenants.
- Examples from Medieval Settlement Patterns in NE Horley by R Ellaby, 1982. (L = listed)
Salfords (Salvers) 1279
Staplehurst (L) 1290
Masons Bridge 1316
Dean (L) 1316
Christmas (L) 1332
Picketts (L) 1332
Axes (L) 16c
Starlings (L) 17c
Sharps 1535 extant
Peartree 1623 extant
Lodge Mill off Lodge Lane
- First reference 1263
- Mill house thought to be the site of present day Elmersland (L,18c) where Richard Todd was the
miller and occupier in 1590, hence the mill is often referred to as Todd's mill even though there were
? other owners and occupiers after that date.
- Taken down by John Lyfe c1655. (The Shove Family, a private communication)
Horley Lodge Manor House
- One of 5 manor houses in original parish of Horley. Others were: Court Lodge (today's Anderson
Sports Centre), Langshott, Bures and Kinnersley.
- Boundary of the Manor of Lodge was roughly: Lonesome Lane and Meath Green Lane to the west,
Brighton and Bonehurst Roads to the east, Horley Row to the south and the original parish
boundary to the north. An eastern corner stone was unearthed in 2006.
- Up to about the 17c courts were held at the Manor House. Court Barons dealt with all admin matters
and Court Leets with all criminal and matters of law.
Brighton Road Mill House
- Part listed from 17c.
Brighton Road Mill
- Date of original mill unknown.
- Was a working mill by 1800s and perhaps much earlier.
- Burned down in 1887.
- Rebuilt as a 5 story building.
- Taken over by the 7th Day Adventists under the name of the International Health Organisation Ltd to
produce breakfast cereals under Dr Kellogg until 1896.
- Burned down in 1900.
- Following an apprenticeship with W H Batchellor in Lee Street Horley, John Maple eventually
founded the furniture store in Tottenham Court Road, London and settled at Petridgewood Farm to
become owner of land in Salfords.
- First school opened at junction of Woodhatch and Brighton Roads in 1876.
- Before this the nearest school was in Horley Row from 1834.
- First school was demolished in the 1960s
- New school opened in Copsleigh Avenue in 1959.
- Mission Church built in 1881 at a cost of £500 on land given on a 999 year lease by Mr Miller of
Peartree farm. Called "Christ Church" and John Maple of Petridgewood paid the stipend and
Church expenses until 1910.
- Enlarged by John Maple's son, Sir John Blundell Maple, at a cost of £300 in 1891/2.
- John Maple build the vicarage that faced onto the Brighton Road that remained the home of the
Salfords clergy until the present one was occupied in 1968.
- An Anglican Order made Salfords a legal district, ie, a Parish in 1952.
- Start of present day Church in 1958 on land alongside original Church. £20,000 financed by the
Diocese and £10,000 by the Parish.
- Built by voluntary labour under the dedicated leadership of Father Peter Lewis who sadly died in
- Dedication of the new "Christ the King" Church by Mervyn, Lord Bishop of Southwark on 31 October
- Original Church demolished in 1968 and its site became a garden of remembrance.
Curates in Charge of Christ Church
1881-1886 John Trevarthen, Diocesan Lay Reader
1886-1891 Rev. W. Hurst MA
1891-1892 Rev. M. G. Lascelles MA
1892-1906 Rev. P. R. Mahony
1906-1915 Rev. C. J. M. Godfrey MA
1915-1919 Rev. R. P. E. Cheesman MA AKC
1919-1932 Rev. D. L. Bryce MA
1932-1935 Rev. F. E. Watson MA
Parish Priests of Christ Church
1936-1940 Rev. F. G. Witcomb BD
1940-1945 Rev. E. A. Metcalfe BA
1945-1948 Rev. H. H. Anderson AKC
1948-1955 Rev. L. E. Whitlock AKC
1955-1965 Rev. P. S. Lewis MA
Vicars of Christ the King
1966-1974 Rev. M. S. Nicholls AKC
1975-1981 Rev. G. P. Nairn-Briggs AKC
1981- 1990 Rev. A. P. Lury BD AKC
1990- 1998 Rev. P. Edwards
1998- 2007 Rev. S. Caple
2008- Rev. P. Keown
(A Short History of The Church in Salfords 1881 -1981)
- First Monotype composing machine invented by American Tolbert Lanston in 1891.
- During Atlantic crossing Americans met Earl of Dunraven who formed syndicate to purchase British
rights. Hence Dunraven Avenue.
- Lanston Monotype Corp founded in 1899 and works built at Salfords off Honeycrock Lane.
- Frank Pierpoint, an American aristocrat and engineer, became Work's Manager from 1899 to 1937.
- Monotype became major employer in the district.
- Firm engaged in production of munitions and components in WW1 and WW2.
- Employed over 2000 people in WW2 and produced more then 18 million components including
73,000 Bren guns.
- Site now Perrywood Industrial Estate. (Instruments of War & Peace)
Hall & Co
- The builders supply merchant set up a large engineering base to the west of Salfords station in 1930.
- Designed and built its own vehicle bodies.
- Maintained all its fleet of vehicles and pit plant.
- Became major centre for repair and overhaul of armoured vehicles in WW2.
- Site sold in 1970s.
(A Century & a Quarter by C G Dobson 1951)
- Between 1838 and 1841 the London & Brighton Railway (later the London Brighton & South Coast
Railway) laid an up and down line through Salfords.
- In 1903 the LB&SC railway planned to lay two further tracks.
- Following a free offer of land south of Honeycrock Lane, the LB&SC railway decided to leave
sufficient room for a station when the two new tracks were laid in 1905. (Private research by Andrew
- When Monotype increased its staff to meet WW1 war work it asked LB&SC railway to construct a
halt exclusively for its workers.
- Salfords Halt was opened for this purpose only on 08 Oct.10.1915.
- It was not opened for public use until 17 July 1932.
(The London to Brighton Line 1841 to 1977, by Adrain Grey, Oakwood Press).
- In 1922 Miss Tucker rented a house in Newhouse Lane to set up a "Children's Convalescent Home"
for young people in need of country air.
- She changed its name from "Chatel Guyon" to "High Trees".
- She was later joined by Miss Young and together they ran the home.
- By 1928 it was known as "High Trees School" with over 40 young people up to 6 years and 10
members of staff.
- In March 1928 a horrific fire broke out in the top dormitory and despite heroic attempts by staff to
save all in that room, 5 young people died and were buried in Outwood cemetery.
- The fire destroyed the entire building and only the walls and chimney stacks were left standing.
- Mr Pierpoint immediately offered the use of Monotype's canteen to provide breakfast and dinners.
- Due to the supreme efforts of Miss Tucker, the school moved to Duxhurst Manor House for 2 years
until it relocated to Horsehills where it remained until it closed in 1984, except for its forced
evacuation to Woolacombe from 1940 to 45. (High Trees School by B.Buss & R.Cooper, 2002)
- Original hall built in 1925 at a cost of ?910.
- In 1978 the Salfords & Sidlow Parish Council agreed to replace the hall.
- Rebuilt by volunteers in 1958
- Rebuilt by volunteers in 1959.
Empire Works Site (Peartree Hill)
- Cecil Hodges Swichgear 1927.
- Aeonic 1928-1934.
- MDS 1934-1952.
- Mullards 1941-1975.
- Philips Research Labs, south of Cross Oak Lane 1975-2008
- Titan Travel 1996- (Brief History of Industrial Site at Peartree Hill by B.Buss, 2002)
- General Napier was a beer house before 1869, closed in 1996.
- Site opened as a Harvester in 1999.
- Prince Albert was a Public House in 1885, closed in 1998.
- Opened as a Mongolian restaurant around 2000.
- Reopened as a McDonalds in 2001.
- Nags Head was a Public House off Horley Road on corner of Three Arch Road until demolished in
- Causeway opened on 19 May 1997 and demolished in 2007 for site redevelopment.
(The History of Public Houses in Horley by B Buss 2007)
2 February 2009